1960 Rhodes 41' (12.50 m) Bounty II
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
1960 Rhodes 41' Bounty II Sloop "RANGER"
Flag of Registry: United States
- Fiberglass Hull
|New Mainsail & Furling Genoa by Quantum Sails|
|B&G Electronics Suite|
|Beta Marine 25HP Diesel Engine with 16 Hours|
|Notable Upgrades: Recent Awlgrip paint finishes on every surface of the vessel. Bright interior with updated appliances, a new teak and holly sole, and custom upholstery. Price just reduced, Motivated Seller! Custom trailer available|
Now emerging on the brokerage market for the first time since the completion of a seven-year keel-up restoration, Ranger has benefitted from a history of light use combined with an open checkbook refurbishment. The result is the recreation of this classic Rhodes design built in fiberglass that today shows as new. Whether competing in regattas or cruising with friends and family, her owner will enjoy great performance, combined with practicality, and low maintenance in this meticulously restored neo-classic.
In Stock: Yes
LOA: 40' 8'' (12.40 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Draft Max: 5' 10''
Draft Min: 5' 10''
Head Room: 6' 5''
Maximum Speed: 6
Cruise Speed: 5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Hull Finish: Awlgrip
Hull Shape: Monohull
Fuel Tank: 20 Gallons (75.71 Liters)
Fresh Water: 60 Gallons (227.12 Liters)
Holding Tank: 40 Gallons (151.42 Liters)
Dry Weight: 18800
Brief History & Refit Description:
In 1960 Ranger was shipped to her first owner who used and enjoyed her on the fresh waters of Lake Superior for about twenty-five years. He eventually sold her to his friend who brought her to Holland, MI, and put her in a barn for a major refurbishment, which he never finished. Thirty years later, still in the barn, she was sold to her third owner who spent the next seven years completing the refit that owner #2 started.
Ultimately the exterior of the boat including the decks were stripped, re-glassed, and repainted stem to stern. The entire interior including all woodwork, wiring, plumbing, machinery, electronics, galley, and head were removed and replaced with new. All rigging, sails, lines, running gear, and mast were also replaced with new. Hundreds of thousands of dollars later she emerged from her cocoon and was launched again as a virtually new boat.
Every inch of this classic sailing yacht has been meticulously refurbished to near perfection. She represents an amazing restoration of a proven offshore sloop. She was recently described in a survey performed by marine surveyor Ron Silvera (with over 40 years of experience) as a 9.5 out of 10, and “As New” virtually everywhere.
In May of 2022, her current owner, a knowledgeable yacht broker and 42-year veteran in the industry bought her from the donation organization to which the previous (third) owner had donated her. Ranger was trucked to Rhode Island on her freshly refurbished trailer where she was introduced to the Atlantic Ocean.
Her next owner can be assured of a trouble-free yachting experience on any waters around the globe. Ranger is now being offered to decerning buyers with a keen eye for detail, interested in owning a rare example of yachting history that looks and runs like new.
The total scope of the refit included:
- New paint
- New decks
- New toe rail
- New wiring
- New plumbing
- New head system
- New interior woodwork
- New cabin sole
- New fabrics
- New galley
- New 25 HP Beta Marine diesel engine
- New electronics
- New rigging
- New sails
- New lines and sheets
- New anchor
- New everything (that wasn’t brass in perfect working order)
The 41-ft Rhodes Bounty II was one of the original fiberglass racer/cruisers that launched a boatbuilding revolution. Now, long after they’ve been retired from the race course, these seaworthy classics still offer no-nonsense sailing for serious cruisers who care about performance but want to go places in comfort.
The Bounty II project was undertaken by Fred Coleman and Vince Lazzara (of Lazzara Yachts) at Aero Marine in Salsalito, California using a Rhodes’ design with Bill Gardens’ engineering. With all the top talent brought to bear, it’s no surprise that the vessel became an instant success. Its heavy scantlings and the building team's approach with the new material paid off in the long run. Their “thick as a plank” hull skin may have been overkill, but the results speak for themselves, and many of these classic sailboats still easily pass survey today.
When Aero Marine closed its doors, an enterprising group of executives bought the assets and shipped the tooling to New England boatbuilder, Pearson Yachts. They began construction of these sloops that Pearson dubbed the Rhodes 41. Perhaps the best measure of success of this effort lies in the fact that of the approximately 50 Rhodes 41’s built, nearly all are still in the water and have a cult following that makes them one of the most sought-after classics afloat.
Construction, Hull & Deck:
Hull: Aristo Blue Awlgrip
Covestripe: Cordovan Gold Awlgrip
Bootstripe: Pure White
Deck: Powder Blue Awlgrip
The construction of this Rhodes 41 is bulletproof. The hull is made up of 9 layers of solid hand-laid woven fiberglass cloth and roving, and 18 layers in the lower hull were used to develop a thickness of three-quarters of an inch at the keel. No fiberglass mat was used in this construction. The 7500-pound cast iron keel is encased in the hull. The fiberglass decks were cored to reduce weight on these racer/cruisers, and the hull to deck joint is over-tabbed and through-bolted to create a secure seal. Her full keel and hung rudder provide safety for open ocean passages.
- Custom S/S bow pulpit w/ single anchor roller
- HKG 33lb galvanized plow anchor w/ galvanized chain & rode
- Bronze hawse pipe
- All cleats are cast bronze w/ cast bronze chocks fitted to the toerail: (1) 12” mooring, (2) 8” stern, (1) 8” housetop, (4) 8” cockpit coaming
- (4) 5”x12” bronze port windows w/ tinted glass lenses
- (2) large bronze port windows w/ tinted glass lenses
- Custom FRP companionway boards w/ vent
- S/S LED running lights fitted to hull port & starboard
- Bronze running light on transom
- Bronze cockpit scuppers
- (2) Custom FRP bronze hinged deck hatches w/ tinted Lexan
- (4) on-deck teak grabrails w/ bronze stand-off fittings
- S/S wired lifelines w/ bronze stanchions
- S/S Yacht Specialties paracord wrapped destroyer wheel
- Edson powder-coated steering pedestal
- Ritchie Powerdamp compass
- (2) cockpit lockers
- (1) above deck stern locker
- Varnished teak staff w/ US ensign
- (2) Kiddie Type B dry chemical fire extinguishers
Interior & Accommodations:
Ranger’s interior has been completely stripped, rewired, painted, and customized.
Stepping down from the companionway into an open salon, the galley is far aft to port with a two-burner stove, sink, storage, and a refrigerator below the countertop. To starboard aft is a quarter berth with storage beneath. Forward to starboard and port are bench seating areas that both convert to over/ under bunks. All interior fabrics have been tastefully reupholstery in blue and white patterns. Moving forward down the starboard hallway the single head is to port amidships and a cedar-lined hanging locker is across the hall on the starboard side. Furthest forward is a split v-berth with numerous drawers, lockers, a hanging closet, and access to the anchor locker.
- “Herreshoff style” interior w/ new teak & holly sole
- Varnished removable (4) step companionway ladder w/ nonskid steps
- S/S UPC flush-mounted counter sink 19.3” inches
- Blue speckled Corian countertops w/ sink piece
- S/S high-neck pull-out faucet
- (3) varnished face dry storage cabinets
- Varnished paper towel holder
- Vitrifrigo RF series 2.6 cubic ft pullout drawer stainless refrigerator
- Force-10 2-burner electric stove top
- LED courtesy lights
- (5) gold ceiling dome lights w/ selector switches
- (1) Frigate Denmark wall sconce in v-berth
Sail Inventory & Rigging:
- Quantum furling genoa (2020)
- Quantum fully-battened mainsail (2020)
- Quantum mainsail cover in toast Sunbrella
- Harken MKIII headfurler
- Harken 4:1 purchase mainsail traveller
- Merriman Brothers Boston, MA Bronze & Brass Winches: (2) #3 Secondaries, (2) #6 Primaries, (1) #2 Cabin-top
- Running rigging is various Yacht braid and has all been recently renewed
- 1x19 S/S wire standing rigging fitted to original bronze turnbuckles (2020)
- Keel-stepped aluminum mast painted in Matterhorn White Awlgrip w/ an Aristo Blue tip on masthead section
- Varnished teak boom w/ original bronze hardware
- Custom machined Delrin masthead sheaves (2022)
- Spinlock line jammers
- Assorted Harken cars
- SSI white mast boot (2022)
Navigation Equipment, and Electronics:
- B&G Zeus 3S 9” chartplotter
- B&G Triton2 Wind, Speed, Depth multifunction
- B&G Triton2 auto-pilot controller
- Standard Horizon Quest+ VHF w/ mic
- Airmar through hull transducer
- Kenwood KMR-M325BT stereo receiver
- Kenwood KCA- RC35MR wired helm remote
- (4) Kicker 5.5’’ inch speakers
Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Systems:
- Beta Marine 25HP 18.5 KW 4HP4954 diesel engine w/ 16 original hrs (2017)
- Twin Disc TMC40P 2:1 transmission
- 3-blade RH Bronze Propeller
- PYI Inc. PSS dripless shaft seal
- 1” S/S shaft
- Racor T800 fuel filter
- Beta Marine engine coolant reservoir
- MPI wet exhaust hose
- Moeller electric fuel tank gauge
- Promariner Prosafe 30amp galvanic isolator
- (2) Blue Seas 8amp thermal circuit breakers
- (2) Deka 12V deep cycle batteries (2020)
- Blue Seas SI-ACR automatic battery charging relay
- Blue Seas digital volt meter on panel
- Xantrex Prosine 1800W inverter
- Breaker Panel: 16 toggle DC selector, 8 toggle AC selector
- GFCI outlets
- LED lighting panels mounted in practical areas
- EEL 30amp 25’ ft shore power cord
- (2) Marinco 30amp S/S shore power inlets to port & starboard
- Kumma 6-gallon hot water heater
- Jabsco manual head
- Dometic digital holding tank monitor
- Sahara S500 shower sump
- Rule bilge pump selector
- Seaflo 2000gph bilge pump w/ Seaflo 02 series float switch
- Atwood V500gph bilge pump w/ Rule float switch
Northstar Yacht Sales
The team has a wide variety of expertise, so no matter what style of boat you want to pursue one of our brokers will be able to guide you to the right boat.
We are your exclusive New England dealers for Brig RIBs and Cape Power Cats. Our Brig product line offers Rigid Bottom Inflatables from 10’-33’. Our Cape Power Cats are 35' and are available as a center console or a pilothouse.
Chris Carney, CPYB
Chris was born and raised on Aquidneck Island, cruising and fishing his father's power boats from a young age. He continued by racing dinghies and small keelboats out of Tiverton Yacht Club. After graduating from the University of Rhode Island with a degree in Marine Affairs and Business, he comes to the team with the intent to build long-term relationships. His experience ranges from all aspects of marine services including private charter sailing, commissioning and diving. His passion for yachting and knowledge of boats has lead a clear career path in the industry. Chris can be found fishing or cruising the waters of Narragansett bay on his Palm beach with his yellow lab “Dublin”.